Thursday, January 19, 2012

Thirty Years Of Thrifting And Estate Sale Finds Being Sold In Chagrin Falls This Weekend


Every room has tables of collectibles
and racks of clothes
FRIDAY SATURDAY AND SUNDAY January 20-22
Organized by The Shakers 216-231-1600
Call for Hours and exact location
They will have an ad in the PD

Woman's Designer and Vintage Clothing sizes 4 or 6
Shoes 9 to 9.5 regular and narrow
Men's suits 44 or 46 long, Designer ties, Shoes 10.5-11
Several rooms of heirloom furniture. I'm sorry I didn't get a picture of the dining room set.  Call the Shakers for a description --it's a showpiece.


Denise is a walking billboard for thrifting. Even when she is only wearing jeans, she is always what my Mom would call "put together." We met because she works in the same mall as my real job and frequents the store I can not name because I am not an official company spokesperson.  One day she was wearing an outfit so stunning, I couldn't resist asking her about it. Her face lit up into a broad smile and she said, "Thrifting!"  After that first conversation, she would always tell me about her finds, and even found a Hawaiian shirt for me.  When I started volunteering at Thriftique, she was at almost every sale.
Over the years, she has shopped for friends, family, neighbors, and co-workers.


Vintage second hand.  Great for a second wedding

"Everything I own is from thrifting, estate sales, or consignment" she exclaimed while she was giving me a sneak preview of her sale. Her kids are grown and on their own so she is moving to a carriage house. "Some people rescue dogs, I rescue fine clothes." 


These original radios are family pieces.
One has a phono too.
 She got started when a friend took her to her first estate sale in 1975.  Then she was interested mainly in furniture but says she was hooked because thrifting got her into homes she would never be able to see otherwise.  When she was a child, her Mom sewed so she learned the basics of good clothing. She loves the 50's and 60's and anything that is "fab" or "kicky." The sale is filled with items from classic department stores and specialty shops. The one common denominator is great design.

"I'm getting excited about downsizing," she said while holding up a vintage purse.  "I bought all of this stuff from other people and now people who come to this sale will take it and re-love it.  There is nothing like it, that thrill of scoring something special."






Designer Men's shoes too!


The cat flats have
a Laura Petrie,
early '60's vibe


Purses

And more purses

Custom made riding boots
and a shoe that is much cooler
than this picture can show
Glam reversible



1 comment:

  1. Keep on blogging. Love it so far. I love to find a deal be it at a garage sale, thrift store, consignment shop or estate sale. I found a beautiful frame hand painted Chinese print yesterday and didn't pay anything for it because I had "credit" in the bank at a consignment store. I'm secertly hoping that it's an undiscovered print from Fu Baoshi.

    ReplyDelete